Fun With Food: Making Flat Bread


This summer we made a plan to go with out air conditioning for as long as we could. We made it till the very hot month parts of August and September but still used it sparingly when we did turn it on. The one downside to this plan was, baking bread in the hot days of summer.


I started About 2 years ago I started to grind my own wheat for our bread and baked goods. The benefits of fresh ground wheat are overwhelming and out weigh an extra work it makes. So now I was faced with over heating our house or giving up my baking. I was not prepared to do either and I researched other options.

When I first started my homestead green living lifestyle I was in love with the idea that I could make anything. Our own ketchup, hamburger buns, salad dressing, and laundry soap to name a few of the things we make for ourselves. It was so rewarding to know when we ran out it did not mean a trip to the grocery store but to mix a few ingredients already in my pantry.


I started researching other ways of making bread type items without the oven. I checked out bread makes and bought an inexpensive bread maker that is working out nicely and is great for mixing up dough that I may use for rolls or pizzas! I also found some great recipes that are for making flat breads on the stove top. The kids and I experimented and made a recipe that works for us. It has a good bit of oil in it but in makes a nice dough that is easy for kids to roll out.





Whole Wheat Flat Bread
2 cups Whole Wheat Flour
1.5 cups All Purpose Flour
0.5 t Baking powder
7 T Oil
1 cup very hot water


3 minute of kneading
15 minute to rest under wet warm towel
Form into Golf Ball size balls
Roll out and cook on a cast iron grill or non stick pan

ENJOY!!












No comments:

Post a Comment